Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 17, 2008

Caleb got to go play at Grammy & Grampy's house all day today, and I enjoyed some peace and quiet. Grammy picked Jamie up from preschool, so she got to play all afternoon.

I spent my afternoon helping out in Carson's classroom. It was so much fun to get to be there again. I separated and organized some Scholastic book fliers for her to send home with the kids while the kids enjoyed some time with the counselor. She was in their class talking to them about preparing for the CRCT, which they will be taking April 29-May 1. After that, I went to the library with Carson to pick out a bunch of books for the class. Then I came back and read to them for a long time out of a "Judy Moody" book. I read over 70 pages to them!

While I was there, Carson's teacher gave me his results from another standardized test they had taken recently. I cannot believe how much Carson has improved in reading! When he started K, he could hardly write his name. He was in the Early Intervention Program for reading. When he started first grade, he was still behind in reading and still in the EIP. They took this same test at the beginning of this year, and we were thrilled that his score was barely inside the average range. He was taken out of the EIP halfway through this year, and when he took the test this past Monday, he scored in the 93rd percentile for reading. He is reading at a grade 2.5 level now! Wow! We are so proud of him! He also scored in the 98th percentile for math (grade level 3.8). :)

Tonight we ordered pizza to celebrate Carson's report card. He is on the high honor roll again! Then, he headed off to cub scouts with Vic. Now the kids are all sleeping, and Vic has fallen asleep too, in Carson's room. I am going to go clean up the kitchen and catch some Zs myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Carson!! Nana and Poppa are so proud of you.

It sounds like you had a nice day Amy. It is nice that you help out in Carson's class. I know the teacher appreciates it!